The top trending living rooms on Houzz provide a wealth of decorating ideas — whether it’s adding stylish wallpaper to the ceiling or embracing the power of symmetry. The ideas that follow come from the most popular living rooms on Houzz as measured by the number of people saving photos of them to their Houzz ideabooks recently. See if any will work in your home.
Metrie, original photo on Houzz
1. Chic ceilings. Like a cherry on top, wallpaper on the ceiling can put the finishing touch on a room. This Canadian living room features Cole & Son’s Malachite, from the Fornasetti collection, which adds whimsy and depth to the space.
James Said, original photo on Houzz
2. Tone on tone. This sublime living room in Perth, Australia, shows the power of decorating a space in similar color tones. From the walls to the tufted furniture to the Greek key-bordered rug, this space is awash in shades of beige. The overall effect is soothing and confident.
Simon Maxwell Photography, original photo on Houzz
3. Bold bookshelves. For the bibliophiles out there, having books integrated into living room design is often a must, but that doesn’t mean you have to be boring about it. This custom bookshelf in London is a great example of how shelving can be an exciting interior element.
Frusterio Design, Inc., original photo on Houzz
4. Sensational symmetry. It has been said that symmetry is the key to beauty. If that’s the case, this Charlotte, North Carolina, living room designed by Chuck Frusterio is a knockout. The placement of the sofas, chairs, end tables and lamps is mirrored on both sides of the fireplace.
SWZ Architects LLC, original photo on Houzz
5. Open space. Open floor plans have been popular for living rooms for some time, and this impressive living space in a former Boston area school converted by SWZ Architects is a terrific example of why the layout continues to draw adoring fans.