The 40th Annual Cape Ann Artisans Open Studios and Celebration 2023
October 7, 2023 @ 10:00 am – October 8, 2023 @ 5:00 pm
Cape Ann Artisans Offer a Robust Itinerary Surrounding Fall Tour
It’s not your imagination, pink is clearly in the air this year. The Cape Ann Artisans are truly celebrating their 40th Anniversary in style. Besides the annual Spring and Fall Tours, 2023 has included several unique collaborations with Cape Ann Museum and an exciting retrospective exhibit at the Cultural Center at Rocky Neck, opening soon.
Center stage is the opportunity to visit each studio individually and chat with artists about their work. The Fall Tour will be held Saturday and Sunday, October 7 and 8th – 10AM to 5PM. The tour itself includes 17 current members of the Cape Ann Artisans located throughout Gloucester and Rockport. For those that would like to sample the work all in one place, before and after the tour, the Artisans offer select curated work at the Cultural Center at Rocky Neck for a special 40th year exhibition beginning September 28th. The exhibit includes a total of 43 current and former artisans, with several individuals honored in Memoriam. [see list of artists in the Addendum]. In particular, the Artisans family recently lost a long-term member, Bart Stuyf, who will always be remembered for his whimsical metal sculptures and robust laughter.
In preparation for the Rocky Neck Exhibit, each Artisan submitted a representative piece of their work to be on display from September 28th through October 29th. Most works will be for sale with a percentage going to support the Rocky Neck Art Colony. The Artisans will welcome visitors to an Opening Reception on Sunday, October 1 from 4-7PM; additionally, the Cultural Center will be open Thursdays-Sundays 12-5. The Artisans will share in gallery sitting – offering another chance for art lovers to engage with the Artisans.
The Artisans have stayed fully occupied over the summer, participating in and curating shows at local and regional galleries. A few are highlighted here:
- Pam Stratton’s sculpture called “Empty Nest” was part of the Experimental art group on display at the Rockport Art Association in July.
- Sallie Strand has curated three different groups of artists throughout the summer at her gallery, including fellow Cape Ann Artisan Jacqueline Ganim-DeFalco. Sallie curated the current show at the Cove Gallery on Rocky Neck, Inside-Outside-In, was included in the Jen Tough Gallery in Santa Fe, NM, and her work appeared in New England Home Magazine.
- Rebecca Nagle and Jacqueline Ganim-DeFalco both juried into the “Cape-to-Cape” show at the Cotuit Center for the Arts. Nagle and Sinikka Nogelo were accepted into the Experimental Arts Group show at the Rockport Art Association. Rebecca will also be part of an exciting show about artists, their journey, and process called “All my Life” at the Cove Gallery opening September 14th.
- John Abisamra’s photography is currently showing at the Rockport Art Association’s Members Show; it can also be found in several unexpected locations, such as Cape Ann Coffees.
While it is rewarding to have work shown in prestigious venues, the Artisan Tour offers a unique look into the day-to-day lives of the artists. Visitors will enjoy the casual nature of the tour which is self-guided. It’s helpful to do advance planning and map out those must-see studios on your list for the weekend. The 2023 map and brochure is the place to start, in print or online. Jump start your planning by watching the CAA teaser video. Brochures are available at all the major tourism outlets including the Cape Ann Chamber, Discover Gloucester, the North of Boston CVB, and most hotels and restaurants. The full group is listed alphabetically below along with their medium:
- John Abisamra – Landscape Photography
- David Archibald – Ceramic Arts – Porcelain & Stoneware
- Cynthia Curtis – Ceramic Arts – Stoneware
- Rob Diebboll – Painting – Oil & Watercolors
- Danette English – Ceramic Arts
- Jacqueline Ganim DeFalco – Sea Glass Wearable Art – Hair Accessories and Jewelry
- Deborah Gonet – Painting & Mixed Media
- Rebecca Anne Nagle – Painting & Mixed Media
- Sinikka Nogelo – Painting & Sculpture – Experimental Arts
- Melody Phaneuf – Painter – Oils
- Scott Place and Erin O’Sullivan – Ceramic Arts
- Marcie Rae – Fine Jewelry
- Deb Schradieck – Painting – Oil & Watercolor
- Sallie Strand – Painting – Abstract
- Pam Stratton – Mosaics, Mixed Media & Jewelry
- Beth Williams – Handmade Art-Glass Beads & Jewelry
- Sara Wright – Fiber Arts – Handwoven & Knitwear Accessories
Upcoming Special Events:
September 28-October 29th: 40th Anniversary Exhibition at the Cultural Center at Rocky Neck Thursday-Sunday 12-5PM
October 1 – Opening Reception at the Cultural Center at Rocky Neck 4-7PM
October 21, Cape Ann Museum and CAA “Talk” 2PM at the Cape Ann Museum. 27 Pleasant Street, Gloucester, MA.