Eight ways to wrap up your summer with a bang.
1. Sara Evans Some might see it as a girls’ night out but you guys out there should seriously reconsiderÂ…Sara Evans is not only one of the hottest country singers in the business, but she also has a legion of female fans itching to dance to hits like “Suds in the Bucket” and “A Real Fine Place to Start.” August 29 at 8pm. Tickets $39-$50 Lowell Memorial Auditorium, Lowell, 978-454-2299, lowellmemorialauditorium.com.
2. Salem Witches Cup 2009 This annual bike race around Salem Common brings out riders and spectators of all ages. August 12 at 4pm. Salem Common, 978-741-2222, witchescup.com.
3. Crane Beach Sandblast So you think you’re a master sandcastle builder? Put your skills to the test at this annual contest where teams and individuals compete for the title. $7 per team, regular admission to the beach. August 15, (rain date Aug.16) 8am-4pm. Crane Beach, Ipswich, 978-356-4351 ext.4015, firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Salem Jazz & Soul Festival Didn’t make it to the New Orleans Jazz Fest this year? Don’t worry, this annual festival is the next best thing with the likes of Jordan Valentine, above. Come on out and help support music education while having a ball in Salem. August 15-16. Willows Park, Salem, 978-745-9500, salemjazzsoul.org.
5. Comedian Carlos Mencia This Honduran-born comedian, who is a regular on Comedy Central, really wants to make you laugh and will say just about anything to get a rise out of you. August 16 at 8pm. Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom, Hampton, NH, 603-929-4100, casinoballroom.com.
6. Eddie Money He might be the poster child for ’80s rock, but his hits like ‘Take Me Home Tonight” and “Two Tickets to Paradise” have been sung in every shower. September 18 at 8pm. Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom, Hampton, NH, 603-929-4100, casinoballroom.com.
7. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Grab the earplugs and the 30-pack. It’s time for a few hours of high-octane adrenaline as NASCAR’s 2009 Chase for Sprint Cup begins. Sept. 20 at 1pm. New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Loudon, NH, 603-783-4931, nhms.com.
8. JoJo White Celebrity Golf Classic Play a round of golf with celebrities like Ray Bourque, Jim Rice, Luis Tiante, Rico Petrocelli, and Curt Shilling. September 27-28. $225 per player. Renaissance Country Club, Haverhill, 978-556-0900, 978-687-0156 ext.2467.