The Marblehead Museum is proud to announce that 2018 is the 250th anniversary of its Lee Mansion. Built by prosperous Marblehead merchant Jeremiah Lee in 1768, the Mansion is the finest example of Georgian architecture in New England. The magnificent 18-room edifice features the only 18th-century hand-painted English wallpaper still on its original walls. Finely carved features attest to the craftsmanship of local carvers and workers, and the details, including a cupola, rusticated wooden siding, and woodwork, reveal the magnitude of Lee’s wealth and ambition.
But the Mansion is more than just a building. It tells the tales of those who lived and worked there, including servants, slaves, professionals, merchants, mothers, and children. Their lives represent Marblehead, its rise and fall and rise again; the industries that sustained the town; and the people who made Marblehead what it is today.
For more information, contact email@example.com or call Cheri at 781-631-1768.
The Marblehead Museum has owned and protected the Lee Mansion since it saved the building from the wrecking ball in 1909. The Museum also houses the largest collection of archival materials and objects related to the over 300-year history of Marblehead. In addition, the Museum owns and operated the J.O.J. Frost Gallery and Carolyn Lynch Education Center, as well as the Civil War & Grand Army of the Republic Museum in Marblehead’s Old Town House.
The Marblehead Museum’s mission is to preserve, protect, and promote Marblehead’s past as a means of enriching the present.