Winter is here on the North Shore, and it’s only going to get colder. Keep warm this holiday and for the rest of the season with a few of our favorite hot drinks, which pair perfectly with a fireplace and a good book. Each recipe also tells you where you can find one or more of the ingredients locally—support local businesses and stay cozy this season.
Total time: 25 mins Servings: 12
Wine: Willow Spring Vineyards, Haverhill
20 whole cloves
2 tangerines, clementines, or small oranges
2 750-ml bottles Merlot
3 cups fresh apple cider
8 Lady apples (optional)
2 cinnamon sticks plus 8 for garnish (garnish optional)
2 green cardamom pods, cracked
2 cups tawny Port
1. Press stem (pointed) end of 10 cloves into each tangerine, piercing through the skin.
2. Place tangerines, wine, cider, Lady apples (if using), 2 cinnamon sticks, and cardamom pods in a large pot. Bring to a bare simmer over medium-low heat; cook gently for 20 minutes.
3. Stir in Port. Divide among glasses; garnish each with a cinnamon stick and a Lady apple, if desired.
Authentic Irish Coffee
Total time: 7 mins Servings: 1
Coffee: Plum Island Coffee Roasters, Newburyport
4 ounces coffee (strong, rich; brewed, hot)
1 1/2 ounce Irish whiskey
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 ounce heavy cream (lightly whipped)
1. Place the brown sugar into a warm Irish coffee glass, mug, or other heat-proof glass.
2. Add the coffee and stir until dissolved. Add the Irish whiskey and stir again.
3. Float the lightly whipped heavy cream on top by pouring it over the back of a spoon.
Hot Buttered Rum
Total time: 10 mins Servings: 4
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup spiced rum
2 cups boiling water
4 sticks cinnamon, for garnish
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth.
2. Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup. Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves.
3. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.
Total time: 10 mins Servings: 1
1 oz (2 tablespoons) whiskey
1 tablespoon mild honey
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup boiling-hot water
1. Put bourbon, honey, and lemon juice in a 6-ounce mug.
2. Top off with hot water and stir until honey is dissolved.